Eliminating lead poisoning is everyone’s responsibility. It’s untreatable, but almost entirely preventable. You can play a role in making your children and our community lead-safe.

Facts about lead poisoning:

In the Finger Lakes region, lead paint in our homes is the number one cause of lead poisoning. It’s a big hazard even before it begins to chip or flake. All it takes is 1/100 of a sugar packet’s worth of lead in dust in the system of a small child to cause serious health issues.

While the symptoms may not always be easily detectable, they’re still significant. For example, ADD and learning, speech, language, and behavioral problems can develop as a result.



  • NYS law requires children get blood lead tests at ages 1 and 2, and whenever that may have been exposed to lead—no matter what their age.
  • The longer lead remains in the body of a young child, the higher the risk of permanent damage.


  • Get a home lead test, especially if your home was built before 1978 (those produce the most lead dust).
  • Hire an EPA Renovation, Repair, and Painting-certified contractor for work.
  • Clean renovation sites thoroughly and keep children away from them at all times.


How to keep you home lead-safe:

  • Wash your child’s hands and toys frequently with soap and warm water—not hand sanitizer—before eating and after playing.
  • Eat foods with calcium, Iron, and Vitamin C.
  • Use a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter, and wet-mop with detergent and water at least 3x/week.
  • Take shoes off when inside.
  • Don’t plant spices or vegetables or let children play in bare soil next to your house.

Finger Lakes Coalition to Stop Lead Poisoning: (585) 396-4343


Are you a property owner in the City of Rochester? You could receive funding to address home lead hazards. LEARN MORE