6 Tips for Keeping a Healthy Home During a Crisis
The EPA says families spend about 90% of their time indoors — and that’s without a pandemic. Now parents and kids have to deal with anxiety over their environment inside and out. A healthy home is more important now than ever — but that doesn’t mean it needs to be difficult to maintain.
Here are 6 steps to maintaining a healthy home environment, thanks to the National Center for Healthy Housing!
1. Keep it Dry
- Use vent fans or opening a window while showering and cooking.
- Check the home for water leaks and fix them right away.
2. Clean Regularly
- Reference our resource guide here for more cleaning safety tips
3. Maintain Safety By:
- Reducing clutter and cleaning up spills to reduce falling hazards.
- Setting water temperature at 120°F or lower to prevent scalding.
- Covering outlets and locking any dangerous chemicals away to prevent unintentional poisonings.
4. Stay Contaminant Free
- Use safer chemical alternatives whenever possible.
- Follow instructions carefully whenever you are handling a chemical.
- Avoid using pesticides to get rid of pests.
5. Keep Your Home Ventilated
- Make sure your ventilation system allows fresh air to enter the house.
6. Be Proactive
- Fix hazards such as broken handrails, electrical hazards and peeling paint right away.
Keeping your family healthy can seem overwhelming, but you don’t need to do it alone. If you have questions about your home environment, reach out to us here.
Are you interested in more tips and local resources for maintaining a safe home? Check out our comprehensive, Healthy Homes, Healthy Families resource guide.